“How can I pray for you and your family?” I asked a friend whose husband is looking for work. This is the prayer she gave me: A wife’s prayer for her unemployed husband.
My heart hurts for my husband.
When I look at him, I see:
- sadness and despair
- a man who’s used to providing for his wife and children
- a friend who wants to give and support others but he can’t without the added strain of worrying about his family’s needs
As each day passes, he goes deeper into that despair. With a sense of loss, he can’t figure out who he is and he’s afraid of what he’s becoming.
He’s losing his identity as Provider. Depression knocks at his heart.
Lord, he worries about how his son sees him, how I see him, and the way he looks in the eyes of his successful peers. He worries about not having the means to take care of us and how that will affect us as we age.
He feels like a disappointment to his family, like a loser to his friends.
God, will You speak Your truth into his heart?
Remind him that his worries are so often lies.
Only You have the power to keep his thoughts at bay. Turn His face to You. Let him feel Your power. Protect him from the forces of evil that seek to discourage him and make him doubt his purpose and gifts.
Wrap Your powerful arms around him
bring him comfort
and assurance in Your plan.
Help him wait on You.
Preserve his identity
and bring peace to his heart.
Let him hear You through the noise in his head
and see himself as You see him.
Help him trust Your timing.
Show him the miracle of provision,
a testimony of Your grace.
And when You open the door for a new job,
let him remember You in thanksgiving.
Please encourage him through me.
- bring calmness and joy into our home
- have patience when he’s crabby
- be sensitive during his sleepless nights of worry, to wake and cradle him so he doesn’t feel alone in the dark hours
I pray for the opportunity to share my trust.
You will restore him
and walk with us through the unknown
toward something better
—no matter where or what that is!
Lord, You made him to work.
You designed him to provide
and to care for his family
and You’re not done with him yet.
Thank You for all You’re doing now.
I trust that you will restore and provide.
I wait, with great expectation
to see how this part of his story unfolds.
A wife’s simple prayer for her unemployed husband
Prayer isn’t about special words. Sometimes it’s just a cry of the heart, like:
Words of enCOURAGEment for the wife whose husband is unemployed
- “Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest (Matthew 11:28, NLT).
- “God cares for you, so turn all your worries over to him” (1 Peter 5:7, CEV).
- “Come with Me privately to a solitary place, and let us rest for a while” (Mark 6:31, Berean Study Bible).
If you would like to print a copy, click the download button below:
This prayer is written by a friend who wishes to remain anonymous.
Another resource: The Power of a Praying Wife